Feature photos by Hillary Ehlen. Action shots by Tyler Ingham, Kelsey Lee (UND Athletics)
Led by fifth-year senior Connor Danielson and junior Hannah Oscarson, the Fighting Hawks cross country team eyes a strong 2018 campaign.
Connor Danielson (left)
- Redshirt Senior
- Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Major: Operations & Supply Chain Management
- Was UND’s number two runner at the Big Sky Championship in 2016. Took a redshirt season in 2017.
Hannah Oscarson (right)
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Major: Biology, Pre-Health
- Was the Fighting Hawks top runner at the Big Sky Championships last season as well as the NCAA Midwest Regional.
Fighting Hawks Cross Country By The Numbers
Head Coach Dick Clay
- Years As Head Women’s Cross Country Coach: 34 years (longest tenured coach in UND athletics)
- Years As Head Men’s Cross Country Coach: 9 years
Clay will retire at the end of the season
2017 Men’s Season
- Placed 4th in the Montana State-Bozeman Running Company Invitational.
- Sophomore Matt Bakken placed 9th and first on the team in last year’s opener at North Dakota State. Bakken ran a 19:35.7 in the 6K race.
- Finished 25th as a team in the NCAA West Regional in Ames, Iowa.
- Junior Jacob Henne ran a 31:43.1 in the NCAA West Regional. Henne is the top returning finisher from last season.
- UND has 6 returning runners from 2017’s squad.
2017 Women’s Season
- Finished 6th in the Montana State-Bozeman Running Company Invitational
- Placed 12th in the Big Sky Championships in Ogden, Utah
- Hannah Oscarson finished 45th overall for the Fighting Hawks, running a 18:43.6 time.
- Oscarson finished 146th in the NCAA Midwest Regional in Ames, Iowa.
- The Fighting Hawks return 15 runners from last year’s team.
Miles To Be Traveled in 2018
Not counting the miles to be ran
- August 31: Fargo, ND (162 miles)
- September 15: Lincoln, NE (1,102 miles)
- September 29: Minneapolis, MN (630 miles)
- October 13: Grand Forks, ND (0 miles)
- October 27: Omaha, NE (992 miles)
- November 9: Peoria, IL (1,534 miles)
- Total: 4,420 miles traveled